Labels

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Might seem silly...

Okay...before you continue with this post...I know what you're going to think...
What kind of crazy person takes the time to fold her grocery bags?! Who has that kind of time...and more...who has that kind of time and then posts about it?!?
Well..I'm the crazy person. And I don't necessarily have extra time on my hands...I'm just procrastinating the laundry heap...or as I like to call it...Mt. Everest. :)
Anyway...this post is mostly a joke (just for you Gwen!), but secretly...not really. I think at one point or another in our homemaking lives we've fumbled around with plastic grocery bags. We open the pantry door and they seem to attack us from all angles. I swear one deliberately flew out, plastered to my face and tried to suffocate me. Okay, not really, and maybe it's just been me, but MAN...I hate 'em...but I love 'em. Whether they be used for stinky diapers, bathroom trash bags, cleaning out the car or whatever! My previous method of storing them was to shove them all into one bag, but it seemed impossible to get just one out when I needed it so I was constantly re-shoving them back into the bag. I tried the slit an X in the top of some container with a plastic lid method, but would run into the same problem of more than one bag coming out or getting caught and ripped on the points of the plastic lid, etc...
Soooooo...I happened upon the following method when my hubby and I lived with his parents for a few months....okay it was more like a year, but hey...we were transitioning...new baby, finishing school, new careers...yadda yadda yadda. Anywho...my mom-in-law stored her bags this way and I thought...Wow! That is SWELL! So here goes!


Pop the corners and handles of the bag to lay it flat on the counter.


Fold the bag in half.


Fold the bag 1/3

Fold an additional 1/3.


Hold bag between thumb, index and middle finger. Keep index and middle finger slightly spaced.
Wrap bag around index and middle finger leaving the handles as a "tail". You want it snug, but not too tight or you'll have a hard time sliding the bag off your fingers.

Twist "tail" a couple times and slip middle finger out of the center, but continue to hold bag with index finger and thumb.

Tuck tail into center and remove your index finger.

Voila! I like to smush mine flat on the counter once they're all rolled and tucked.

Now...if you have one of these laying around...they make a GREAT container for holding the bags.
And there you have it. Never again will I wrestle with, nor have nightmares of being suffocated by, a disgruntled plastic grocery bag again! Seriously, once you try this method...you'll never go back to any other. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it! And now I have started folding my bags like this! I just take a little bit of time after I've put all the groceries away and fold them all up, it makes me feel like I've got one tiny thing in this house organized!

    ReplyDelete